Monday, April 9, 2018

#295 Ride The NYC Subway


I am not going to lie, I do enjoy a subway ride. Next to walking, it is the cheapest way to get around the 5 boroughs of New York City. Don't get me wrong, I love walking around Manhattan. It's safe, fun and there is so much to see. But, when you are on a timetable and want to jam pack as many districts of the city as possible into one or two days, the subway is a great companion.

Big Apple art
So much artistry in the Big Apple! I love it!


Sure, it can be intimidating for a few reasons. Some of the subway stations do not have the cleanest, most modern facilities, while others are like little cities thriving under the big city. The Times Square Station is a gem of a station while the Canal Street Station.... not so much. But, it's not like you are moving in. You are getting off the train and walking out of the station to visit one of the many cool and wonderful neighborhoods the city has to offer.

"I'll take you down to Chinatown! " - The D Train

Also, some of the trains are sleek, modern and sport the latest technology while others have probably been running since the Warriors had to bop their way back to Coney Island back in 1979. (If you have never seen the movie The Warriors, you are missing out. It's great!) No worries though, if a subway is having issues, they more than likely already have it out of service.

As for safety, I have never felt unsafe riding a subway. It is rare that I do not see a police presence at a subway station and passengers usually keep to themselves. Occasionally you may encounter someone asking for spare change but that is all over the city, anywhere you go. On my last trip to the city this past February, I was approached both going to and coming back from Chinatown. Either donate some change or go about your business. No one is judging either way. They will work their way down the car and rarely harass anyone.

Bowling Green Terminal
As for the transit lines and which train to take, there are maps of the routes in every station. You can also buy a transit map, pull it up on your phone via Google or download the NYC transit app. I believe there are several apps to choose from. There are also transit workers in the stations who can assist you if you are confused.

NYC Transit Apps
MTA Subway Map

The biggest faux pas you can make is getting on the wrong train or entering the station on the wrong side. Both are easy fixes but they may cost you a fare. Once you run your Metrocard through the turnstile, the money is automatically deducted from your card, so if you are not sure if you entered the right side of the station, check the map or talk to an attendant before going through the turnstile.

I may have cost myself some cash back in the day by going on the wrong train. I was still new to riding the subway so I made a few rookie errors. Once I realized my error, I would get off at the next stop and circle around to the correct train. Back then they still used tokens so I am definitely showing my age. I believe everything is Metrocard now.


Heather's first subway ride. 

Ricky and I getting ready to hop another train. 

Just follow the signs. 

Here are a few navigation tips you may find useful in case you go stupid from looking at the transit map for too long. (This happens to me a lot.)

  • Remember, if you are going downtown, you are headed towards Brooklyn. If you are going uptown, you are headed towards the Bronx. If you want to go downtown but your train is headed towards the Bronx, you are going the wrong way. 
  • As my daughter pointed out to me on my most recent trip to NYC, read the signs. Don't just glance at them, read them. ( I am a habitual glancer.) Look at the arrows. They are just like signs at the airport. The signs are pretty self explanatory. You just have to READ them. 
  • On the weekends and depending on construction, you may have to switch trains midway through your ride to get to where you need. You don't have to pay extra, you just have to pay attention to the announcements over the loudspeakers in the stations and on the trains. Since I do not pay good attention, this would be lost on me. But, for most people, switching trains isn't a problem. 

Here comes the B train bitches! 
As for any bad experience I have had riding the subway, the worst has been riding on a packed train. Depending on the time of day and how popular the line is, you may encounter a packed subway car. Hanging onto a pole for dear life when that train takes off can be a lot of fun. However, sometimes you get whacked with a satchel or have someone's butt/crotch in your face and vice versa. It goes with the territory. It just brings us all a little closer to our fellow human beings and that is a good thing, I think?

So, if you are feeling spunky and adventurous and want to use your money to eat delicious NYC food rather than spend it on expensive cab fare, give the subway a whirl. People from all walks of life use the subway everyday. Yes, you may look down from the platform and notice a few rats running along the train tracks but that is all part of the true NYC experience.

Chrissy



Total Pageviews

Ciao!