Friday, December 8, 2017

#284 Dine At Serendipity 3



Serendipity 3. There was always something so mythical and fantastical to me about Serendipity 3. It was like this whimsical, colorful unicorn that seemed completely out of reach for an average gal like myself. Could it even be possible for me to ever visit such a wonderful place? As teen I didn't think so. As a teen, everything outside of my little coal cracker Pennsylvania hometown seemed so much more larger than life and way beyond the realm of my reach. 

But, that was so far from the truth. I just did not know that then. I also did not know that I practiced Serendipity naturally. It was in my nature. So my fascination with Serendipity 3 was not at all coincidental, but totally designed. It all began like this. Growing up in the 80's, like any tween and teenager, I was huge into pop culture. I would spend my paper route and waitressing money to purchase fashion and beauty magazines. I would stalk the neighborhood newspaper shop Pence's on a daily basis, excitedly waiting for the latest issues of Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire, and Allure to hit the stands.

Serendipity Quote
I would also indulged in gossips rags as a teen. My after school job was not far from Merf's newsstand, so I would grab weekly copies of Star Magazine and the Globe. It was at these local newsstands where my romance for NY newspapers, specifically the NY Post, blossomed. Eventually I stopped buying the gossip mags altogether. The NY papers were so much better. Page Six baby!!

It was through all my reading and perusing of the lifestyles of the rich and famous in the New York papers that I discovered this Manhattan hot spot called Serendipity 3. Countless celebrities always seemed to be photographed dining there. Many other celebrities openly gushed in interviews about how much they adored Serendipity 3. Andy Warhol used to haunt the establishment back in his early days, before he became famous.

Serendipity Quote
It had to be a great place if the eclectic Mr. Warhol visited there. Naturally, my teenage self mentally added this place to what would eventually become my Bucket List. I just had to visit there. It seemed so happy and fun. Yet, as time wore on and many trips to NYC had passed, I had yet to step foot into the quirky little cafe owned by Stephen Bruce.  

Fast forward to 2008. My daughter was going to be turning 16 and I wanted to do something special for her Sweet 16. She loved art so I thought a visit to the MOMA would be a perfect idea. I mean who wouldn't want to turn 16 in the Big Apple? ( I spent my 40th in the Big Apple.) As I was thinking about the MOMA and all the wonderful works of art we would have the chance to gaze upon, I remembered Andy Warhol's soup cans were at the MOMA. How cool was that? So cool that is how cool it was!

And thinking about Mr. Warhol jarred something in my mind. I could not remember what it was though. It was there, in the back of my mind, but did not want to show itself. A few days later while cleaning the house with the TV playing in the background, a movie called Serendipity came on. I had always wanted to see it but never had so, I decided to take a break from cleaning to watch the movie.

Serendipity 3
I loved the little animal display. Serendipity 3 December 2008
I fell in love with it immediately. I too believed in magic. I too believed in Serendipity. Kate Beckinsale and John Cusack were so perfect for each other. And......... that's it!!! That is the thing that was sitting in the back of my mind when I thought of Andy Warhol. You see, John and Kate's characters met at Serendipity 3. My long lost unicorn dream came back to life. I was going to take my daughter to the magical place for her Sweet 16! How perfect. How serendipitous! 

And so after our visit to the MOMA, my daughter and I walked the Upper East Side to Serendipity 3. We actually walked right past it. LOL! I guess I was expecting this huge, fancy decorated building because I had to do a double take when I saw the simple storefront window of Serendipity 3. It was very cute, don't get me wrong, but it was not what I had envisioned for the exterior of the restaurant. Never judge a book by it's cover though. 

Serendipity 3
The stunning Christmas decor at Serendipity 3 circa December 2008

We took our place in line outside the restaurant. Thankfully we arrived right after the lunch rush so we did not have to wait in line long. Once we entered the building, I was taken back to my childhood immediately. The quaint, shabby chic style of the tiny restaurant was so lovely. This was definitely a place unicorns would visit to enjoy some delicious ice cream and treats. It was a gorgeous. You could almost sense the whimsical history of Serendipity 3 within the very walls that encased the cafe. 

Both levels of the restaurant were decorated with white, 50's style ice cream shop tables and chairs. The floors were white honeycomb tile just like the malt shops of the past. Gold, gilded mirrors and unique vintage signs graced the walls. Glass cases lining the wall near the entrance housed treasures from the past such as 50's, 60's and 70's toys, dishes, jewelry and a variety of other flea market kitsch.

My birthday girl!!!
All the merchandise was for sale. Memories of my childhood washed over me while gazing upon all the vintage trinkets in that case. I noticed there was a lot of pink going on in this unicorn palace. It was so pretty. Serendipity 3's holiday decorations are to this day, some of my most favorite ever.

Enormous pink ice cream cones constructed of glass ornaments hung in the windows, flanking either side of an enormous gold mirror. The mirror was shrouded in a stunning garland of huge pastel glass balls and gold lights. It was breathtaking. I couldn't stop staring at it.

The Tiffany stained glass lampshades dotting the white and gold trimmed ceiling were brilliant and alive. Their colors were so rich and vibrant. The stark white backdrop of this restaurant was perfect for displaying the many stunning splashed of glitz and kitsch. My daughter and I were seated on the second floor. According to my Serendipity Cookbook Michael Douglas, Francis Scavullo, Danny DeVito, Rhea Pearlman and Kim Basinger have all sat at that very table.

I was in heaven. Kim Basinger was an 80's and 90's goddess to me. She still is a goddess to this day. I love her. And Francis Scavullo??? I think I may have been even more star struck over him. Not only was he a world famous photographer but he was most famous for shooting just about every single cover of Cosmopolitan known to man. I was thrilled to be sitting at this table. It was perfect. Of course I also kept looking over my shoulder at the table where John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale famously met in the move Serendipity.

Frozen Hot Chocolate
Our server was a super friendly girl. My daughter and I ordered our drinks first because we were still undecided on our meals. Heather ordered the frozen Strawberry Supreme and I got the famous Frozen Hot Chocolate. When our server returned with our drinks, our eyes got so wide from amazement. Our drinks were huge. My frozen hot chocolate was so rich and creamy. They definitely used premium chocolate. My daughter's drink was made with real strawberries creating the perfect blend of sweet and tart. The drinks alone were well worth the visit.

Our server then took our lunch order. I ordered the Chicken Diva, which is like a Chicken Parmesan, but spicy. It was so delicious and huge. My daughter ordered the Summer Bries sandwich. It consisted of turkey, apples, brie and alfalfa sprouts. She got it on the Irish Soda bread instead of the Pumpernickel. Her sandwich was huge as well and looked soooooo good. Between the enormous, luscious, frozen drinks and the scrumptious lunch, I had no idea how we were going to manage dessert.  

Strawberry Supreme
Sweet 16 Strawberry Supreme

You see, Serendipity 3 is known for their tremendous desserts and confections. And by tremendous I mean The Hulk and Godzilla would both be very pleased with the size of the desserts. Yes the desserts are a little pricey. Back in 2008 it was $8.00 for a frozen hot chocolate and $16 for a Santa Sleigh Sundae. However, they DO NOT skimp at all on portion on anything. Plus, everything tastes deliciously homemade. It is worth every single penny and you are dining in a unicorn's lair which is priceless in my opinion.

We decided to order the Santa Sleigh Sundae for my daughter's birthday dessert. This sundae was jam packed with ice cream, creamy marshmallow sauce, tons and tons of gooey hot fudge, green and red sprinkles, a mountain of whipped cream, strawberry sauce, a candy cane and a marshmallow tree. My jaw dropped when our server brought it to the table. I knew I was going to be of no help to my daughter. I think I had maybe two bites. I was too full. We were in no hurry though. My daughter took her time and ate as much of the sundae as she could. She did good.

Santa Sleigh sundae
Santa's Sleigh is huge.....and tasty!

It was time to say goodbye to the Serendipity 3 but not before we were presented with one more treat.

The owner, Stephen Bruce was actually at the restaurant during our visit, signing copies of his dessert cookbook Sweet Serendipity. So, as a Christmas present for me and everyone I bake for, I bought the book and had him sign it. He is such a nice man, very personable. I wanted to ask him about Warhol but I chickened out. Honestly. I was thrilled just to meet the head unicorn. It was the perfect ending to a perfect experience. 

( I have also made several desserts from this cookbook, all of which came out fantastic. The frozen drinks are AMAZING!!)


In the end, it was truly a Serendipitous Day. I was looking for something wonderful, that being an experience at Serendipity 3. I ended up with something even more wonderful and unexpected, that being my sharing a once upon a time teenage dream with my sweet 16 teenage daughter and being able to meet the man who inspired this entire, magical dream, Stephen Bruce. True Serendipity.



Serendipity Quote

I believe good comes into all our lives. And the best kind of good is sometimes the most unexpected kind. Sometimes we see it. Sometimes we allow it to pass us by. 

If you are wondering about the Serendipity in your life, look at it like this.
Serendipity can be defined two ways. 
1. Searching for something and finding something even better than you expected. 
    I am not talking the grass is greener type stuff, I am talking the deep in your soul type stuff. 
2. Searching for something and finding exactly what you needed. 
    I am talking about the missing pieces in your life coming to you in ways you may not have expected but exactly as you needed them.

As for me, I wish that for all of us, we experience as much Serendipity as possible in this life. 


Chrissy



Total Pageviews

Ciao!