Tuesday, January 30, 2018

#5 Eat Beignets At Cafe Du Monde

A random craving for beignets a few nights before Mardi Gras back in 2010 led to one of the most unexpected and most awesome road trips I have ever experienced in my life. My friend Michelle and I were both unemployed and eager for an adventure. This adventure led us to The Big Easy and delicious, sugar coated clouds of heaven at the world famous Cafe Du Monde.

So, let's talk about heaven.

Beignets Cafe Du Monde
 Heaven on a plate. Sooooo good. I miss them so much! Love the Big Easy!

We began our trek to Cafe Du Monde after enjoying some of the gorgeous architecture and quirky atmosphere of the French Quarter. You could actually smell the sweet, fried dough squares wafting through the air before even setting eyes on the little outdoor cafe. The scrumptious aroma reminded me of funnel cakes frying at a county fair. It was the ultimate olfactory temptation. My stomach started rumbling the moment my nose caught wind of sugary fried heaven. The anticipation of sinking my teeth into a warm, fresh beignet was too much to bare.

With each step closer to our destination, the chattering of people grew louder and louder. Finally, we glimpsed the traditional green and white striped awning over the cafe. We were here!! We made it to Cafe Du Monde, the catalyst for this whole random experience. Thankfully, Michelle and I found an empty table along the Decatur Street side of the cafe. Dirty dishes were still laying there from the previous patrons but there were no other unattended tables and I was shaking from the hunger pains that had taken over my body.

The famous green and white awning. 
A house band jammed out to some rhythm and blues music while I searched for a menu. I noticed the menu hanging on the side of the cafe. It was simple and self explanatory. Beignets were 3 for $2.14. They also served coffee and a few other beverages. No muss, no fuss.

( I find that restaurants that focus on a few signature dishes rather than 100, tend to have better quality food and better tasting food.) Cafe Du Monde was all about beignets and coffee. I was all about Cafe Du Monde. I liked that my decision was simple. The hardest thing I had to decide was how many orders of beignets I wanted to purchase.

I decided to get two orders of beignets. One for me to eat at the cafe and one to take back to PA. I also ordered a coffee because it smelled wonderful mingled in with the scent of the fresh beignets. How could I not? An older woman approached our table with two glasses of ice water and proceeded to clean our table. After I placed my order she looked at both Michelle and myself and said, "You leave me tip! Some people do not leave tip. I tell you now, you leave me tip." With that she huffed away. Michelle and I just looked at each other, stunned by the enormous brass balls of our server. I began to wonder how she managed to walk upright with balls so huge? She must have a strong back or somthing.

My server sitting down, giving me the stink eye. LOL!
We started laughing hysterically. I wanted to tell my server that I had been a waitress for over twenty years. I always left a tip. Even if the service sucked, I left a tip because I knew what it was like to be a waitress in a busy restaurant.

Ultimately though, I take her words in stride. I was one to vent behind closed doors rather than be rude to my customers but I was still able to empathize with her. And I am sure serving in touristy places tends to bring a mix of clientele with it. And by clientele I mean tippers and stiffers. It is what it is.
Sometimes there is no happy ending.

Anyways, within two minutes, our server padded back over to our table with my beignets and coffee. I thanked her as she left the check. I glanced at my plate, shocked by the size of the beignets. They were huge. They smelled like heaven would smell. I took a deep, hearty whiff. And then another one. Then another one. They were covered in mass amounts of powdered sugar. It was like a scene from Scarface only the white, powdery snow was sweet, fluffy sugar that you did not have to snort to enjoy.

My stomach was screaming at me to take a freakin bite already. I grabbed my first beignet, not realizing how hot it would be and watched powdered sugar dump all over my black shirt and hoodie. Great! Now I really did look like Tony Montana. I placed the beignet back on my plate and began dusting the sugar off myself with some napkins. I made a mess. It was nothing new. I was not shocked by any of this.

Cafe Du Monde
The historic Cafe Du Monde
After I dusted off as much of the powdered sugar as I possibly could from my clothing, I attempted to pick up the beignet again. This time I leaned over the plate before taking my first bite. Sweet baby Jesus!! They tasted exactly like heaven would taste. The beignets were chewy but light.

The warm fresh dough melted in my mouth. The oil gave the surface dough a slightly crunchy texture around the edges but the inside was warm and soft. God I loved when that happened! The sugar turned translucent as it absorbed the oil, making it stick to the dough rather than my clothing.

My mouth was covered with powdered sugar but not one F was given that day. I did not care. I just sat there savoring the ethereal taste that came with each bite. They were fabulous. They were most certainly worth the 27 hour drive to try them. I sipped at my coffee in between bites of heaven. The coffee was a smooth medium roast blend that would put even the finest coffee houses to shame. It complimented the beignets perfectly.
 
I was so happy sitting in Cafe Du Monde in the fresh Naw'leans air, covered in powdered sugar, eating my lightly crisped fried pocket of sunshine while sipping my delectable coffee, extra cream, extra sugar. At that moment, I did not have a care in the world. It's was all about the little things in life and this was one of those little moments that had a delightful, positive impact on my life. I knew I would never forget that moment and how it made me feel. I was at peace. I was content. I was living life. I was in New Orleans baby!!

View from Cafe Du Monde
My view of gorgeous architecture from Cafe Du Monde.

Cafe Du Monde Menu 2010
Simple Menu, Delicious Food
I left a $3.00 tip for my server. My bill was only $7.00. I hoped no one else stiffed my server today. I could tell by the way she padded back and forth between tables that she was in some pain. She may have been a sassy little thing but she was working her tail off. Her service was prompt, albeit blunt.

I grabbed my extra bag of beignets and bade au revoir to Cafe du Monde. It was time to explore more of the French Quarter. I took in the sights and smells of this wonderful little cafe one more time. Maybe we will meet again I thought. I sure hoped so.

In closing, I know there are many delicious cafes and bakeries that offer beignets in NOLA, but you honestly cannot beat the deal nor the flavor of Cafe Du Monde. It's a must do if you find yourself in the Big Easy. It may be cliche and touristy but some touristy spots really are true gems. Cafe Du Monde was definitely a diamond on the jewel encrusted tiara of New Orleans.

Profiter du Present! 









Chrissy 




Total Pageviews

Ciao!