Wednesday, June 19, 2013

#106 Attend The Washington DC Cherry Blossom Festival

Spring, what a perfect name for the season. It brings life full circle. It springs hope in the form of infant blooms from the weathered, storm tested branches of the glorious towering trees surrounding us. It springs perseverance in the form of saplings and perennials pushing through the cold, frozen ground, bringing new life from the dormant roots and bulbs beneath the surface. It springs determination in the form of new vegetation and flora, by cracking through the toughest of seed casings, breaking free the beauty encased from the pod, springing forth it's own radiating and resplendent contributions to the planet.

Cherry Blossoms Washington DC
Cherry Blossoms along the Tidal Basin, Washington DC

Every season has a purpose. Spring's purpose is to promote rebirth and rejuvenation. Summer's is to promote flourishing and ripening. Autumn's is to promote utilization and maturity. Winter's is to promote resting and regeneration. Seasons are a lot like people when you think about it. And while people oft refer to being in the spring, summer, autumn or winter of their lives based on their age, seasons for human's are so much more than that.

Each year of our life has a cycle just as the planet does. Each year of our life also has a season. And if you really pay close attention, you will notice your behaviors, attitudes and actions mirror the very season you are experiencing. We as people sometimes forget that we are just as big a part of Mother Nature as the vegetation, weather and atmosphere. We are part of the universe as well.

Okay, enough going deep. I'll stop now. Instead we will talk about........ ME! Lol. Well, it is my blog.

I myself am aware of the cycle of seasons that flow through each year of my life. I am connected to them. And I would have to say spring is my most favorite cycle/season. I find I feel most alive and spirited in the springtime. Most of the chances, gambles and risks I take, I tend to do more in the spring than any other time of the year largely because my attitude reflects the season. Mind you, I do not try to reinvent myself. I don't want to. However, I do strive to become a more diverse a person. I strive to become a better version of me.

One of my most favorite parts of spring is the dazzling, gorgeous trees in bloom. Their lush pastel colors of pinks and whites and yellows and purple make for a visually stunning representation of all that spring embodies. I find them so inspiring. And my most favorite of all the spring trees is the Japanese Cherry Blossom. It's weeping structure and alluring soft pink petals that number in the thousands fascinates me. I always wanted to have one of my own. I still do not have one but one day......

Let's go back ten years to a flea market store I was perusing. I am a big fan of vintage post cards and this store had thousands of them. As I was flipping through them, picking out a post card here and a post card there to utilize for some home project that to this day I have yet to decide on, I came across a vintage postcard of the Jefferson Memorial in Washington DC. It was the most beautiful postcard. There were fluffy pink trees surrounding the monument. "Does it really look like this?" I thought. When I flipped the card around to read the caption, it read Jefferson Memorial and Cherry Blossoms.

I went online to see if DC actually looked like this in the springtime. Turns out they have an entire festival dedicated to the blooming of the Cherry Blossom. It was then and there I added that to my bucket list. Fast forward 8 years to 2011. It was a hard winter for us. My daughter had turned 18 in December but the only thing I could afford to do at the time was take her to dinner. I told her as soon as I got extra money we would go to NYC to celebrate.

Motor Transportation, a local charter bus company, sends me a book every year containing all of their bus trips for the year. I could not remember for sure what days the bus went to NYC. I knew Wednesdays and Saturdays were a given, but I wanted to see if there were other days we could go as well. As I was flipping through the pages I noticed they had bus trips to the Washington DC Cherry Blossom Festival. The price was right but I kept thinking how annoying sitting on a bus for five hours would feel. I could drive but DC traffic is right up there with NYC traffic. It is not pretty. I did not want that aggravation either.

For the next two days I kept debating the trip to DC. My son had been to DC but neither my daughter nor I had. My daughter was also just as big an admirer of the trees as I was. In addition to the allure of the Cherry Blossoms, I was also eager to see the WWII Memorial since my grandfather was a three time purple heart recipient whom served in Italy during WWII. Ten hours on a charter bus....man that was going to be a long day but I decide it is worth it.

I purchase the tickets over the phone, then pull my daughter aside and tell her I have a surprise for her. I pull up the Washington DC Cherry Blossom Festival website and turn my laptop to her. She starts fawning over how pretty the trees are. I tell her in a few weeks she will see these very trees in person. I was hoping she would be excited about it and.....she was very excited to say the least.

Saturday April 9, 2011 we awake before the birds. The bus is leaving at 6AM sharp. I curse doing this to myself on a non work day but know I can sleep on the bus, whereas I can't sleep at work. My friend Donna also gave me a book to read for the travel. Between reading and sleeping on the bus, the morning went rather fast. We arrived in DC around 11 AM. It was definitely different from NYC. As we drove past Congress I became very excited. For how much you see the building on TV, it does not do justice to the sheer size of the building.

I say to my daughter that hopefully I will be able to get some pictures of the Congress building when the bus goes by it on the way home. Our bus drops us off at the National Mall in front of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. We are to report back here for 5:45 PM. No exceptions. I pull out a little map of the Tidal Basin that I printed off the internet. I am so used to navigating NYC, Southern Jersey and the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. I have no idea where to go or where to start in DC. I also later come to find that I printed a not so great map of DC. It did not have half the attractions on it that were right in our vicinity. It only had the trees really. Well, I wanted to see the trees right?

I turn to my daughter and inform her she needs to bare with me as I try to figure out how to use our time the wisest. There is way too much to see and do in a short amount of time. We start walking towards the Washington Monument, which is HUGE!! As I am walking and checking out the map, I tell my daughter I hope we pass Congress again. She is looking at me funny but doesn't say anything. We stop for a moment so I can review my game plan with her. She has already noticed the Smithsonian's Freer/Sackler gallery which has Asian art and artifacts on display. She would like to go there. Well sure!

We map out our day. We will visit the WWII Memorial, walk the Tidal Basin to the Jefferson Memorial and back, find the Lincoln Memorial, then visit some museums in the Smithsonian starting with the Freer/Sackler Gallery. I also tell her if there is time I would like to try and find Congress. As I am saying this and tracing the route with my finger on my map, my daughter falls quiet. I glance up at her from the map. She has a half amused, half quizzical look on her face. I guess she is entertained by her mother's inexperience navigating this city.

We start walking again. There are many people strolling about in the National Mall. I have no idea why it is called a Mall though. There are absolutely no stores here. It is more like a really, really long stretch of grass. As we near the Washington Memorial, we notice people going inside it. There is also a sign that says no smoking around the memorial. I of course, am smoking. My daughter tells me to put it out. I tell her we are outside. She retorts that the sign says anywhere on the monument grounds which includes the outside. She also notes we are on federal property.

I finish my smoke defiantly as she looks on with disapproval. I start blabbing to her yet again about hoping to find Congress before we leave because it was such an amazing building. My kid is now openly laughing at me. I tell her that I know I sound like a broken record.

Finally she says "Mom, turn around." I turn around. Guess what is sitting directly across from the Washington Memorial on the other side of the giant humongous patch of grass known as the National Mall? The Congress building, that's what.

"Oh my god." I mutter. "Are you kidding me? How the hell did I not notice one of the biggest, most famous buildings in the city right behind me this whole time? And I call myself observant?" I am shaking my head in disbelief while my kid laughs at me.

Congress
There it is!! Congress

"Well, now I know where it is." I laugh. "We'll get pics when we come back." I tell my daughter. We proceed forward down the path to the WWII Memorial. As we pass the Washington Monument, which I was unaware you could even enter, I notice it is free. I ask my daughter if she would like to go in to which she replies yes. As we walk around the bend to the entrance, we change our minds immediately. It is swamped. The line in enormous. We decide to keep walking towards the WWII Memorial.

As soon as we come upon it, I am immediately taken by how magnificent the memorial is. Stone pillars with iron wreaths representing each of the 50 states envelop a large pond complete with several fountains. We walk around the monument awestruck. I remember Tom Hanks doing fundraising commercials to build this memorial on TV. I was so pleased to be able to visit this memorial not only to honor all those who served during WWII, especially my grandfather, but to appreciate the stunning architecture and design of the memorial. It was truly glorious.

The WWII Memorial Washington DC
The fountain at the WWII Memorial. 

The WWII Memorial Washington DC
So well said. 
The WWII Memorial Washington DC
Private William E. DeCosmo, Pennsylvania, 3 time Purple Heart recipient and doting grandfather.
The WWII Memorial Washington DC
The Washington Monument from the WWII Memorial
The WWII Memorial Washington DC
The Northeast
Mom and Daughter Field Trip to the nation's capitol. 
After spending thirty minutes exploring the WWII memorial we begin our trek along the Tidal Basin. Had I been a little more savvy I would have realized the reflecting pool and Lincoln Memorial were right behind the WWII Memorial. Unfortunately, we did not get to see them on this day because....I was just so confused. How can someone navigate through NYC and find everything she is looking for yet not be able to find monuments right next to each other in the same park? I have no idea. Welcome to my planet.

Our trek along the Tidal Basin is going to be somewhere between 3-5 miles one way. That is a lot of walking but the scenery makes it easy not to notice. Even though the day is overcast, it does not affect the blush spring beauty of the trees. The entire basin has been painted pink. We are visiting on the tail end of the blooming period, but the trees are still so beautiful. I had read that there were over 3000 Japanese Cherry Blossoms growing along the path. They were a gift from the Mayor of Tokyo back in 1912, 99 years prior to our visit.

It is incredible how some gestures of goodwill can stand the test of time. The Cherry Blossom festival promoted that goodwill, despite going to war with our good friend Japan in 1944. They say some friendships can stand the test of time. The USA and Japan are that very proof. While walking along the basin taking in all the beauty, I notice the path around the basin is a pretty narrow regular sidewalk. In fact it becomes very narrow in some spots. In other spots, you must actually go onto the grass to go around the basin because there is no sidewalk.

I also stare at the basin water. I wonder how deep it is. I later come to find it is only 10 feet deep. The trees nearest the basin are weeping so much that it looks as if they are actually bending into the basin to sip the cool spring water. The pink petaled branches reflecting off the basin create a beautiful mirage of thousands upon thousands of delicate flowers floating peacefully in the still waters. In fact, I have to look several times to remind myself it is only a reflection. The flowers are not really growing from within the depths of the basin.
.
Overhead, it is an infinite canopy of pink blossoms. There is no sky, only flowers. That is okay by me. The aura and energy emanating from the trees is so positive and glowing, even the most miserable of spirits would not be able to deny the feeling of serenity and contentment warming their hardened soul. We stop to pick up some of the millions of little petals scattered along the ground. They are so soft and heavenly.

If only I could nap in a bed made of cherry blossoms. It would probably be the most relaxing sleep I would ever have. I am now smiling uncontrollably. I am breathing the fresh, subtly fragrant air so deeply, my eyes clear and wide, soaking in the view. I find myself humming as we walk further down the path. I have allowed myself to become one with the spirit of my surroundings. And when one does that, one is at their most well being.

Cherry Blossoms Washington DC
Pretty in Pink
Cherry Blossoms Washington DC
Sipping some water.
Cherry Blossoms Washington DC
She's got curves.
Cherry Blossoms Washington DC
Each photo takes on a different characteristic. 
Cherry Blossoms Washington DC
Sweeping the water.

We continue our walk along the basin. Up ahead we see the FDR Memorial. We stop to look around. Mr. President does look a little green but that is what happens when bronze is exposed to the elements. I find it adorable that there is a little bronze statue of Fala, FDR's Scottish Terrier sitting obediently next to his master. Such a sweet touch. He did love him very much. After our visit to the FDR memorial we press forward. There are so many more beautiful pink trees up ahead near the George Mason Memorial. These trees are not all Cherry Blossoms though. There are many gorgeous magnolias at the height of their bloom.

The trees are very large, very lush and very pretty. Their big pink petals are just beginning to shed, carpeting the the grass beneath them. My daughter and I stop to rest in the park. We sit on a bench and admire our surroundings. We both comment about how much we wish the trees remained in bloom all summer long. However, would anyone appreciate them as much if they did? I think we would, but I believe part of the lesson nature provides via the spring blossom is to remind us not to take for granted the life we are given; to remain in bloom as often as possible for as long as possible because in the big scheme of things, we never really know when the last petal is going to fall from our tree.

FDR Memorial
FDR and Fala
FDR Memorial
FDR Memorial
FDR Memorial
I have seen war....I hate war. 
Magnolia Blossoms Washington DC
Stunning Magnolias

Magnolia Blossoms Washington DC
The Magnolias blooming around the George Mason Memorial

My beautiful daughter 
My baby all growed up! 
After our little breather, we make our way to the Jefferson Memorial. It looked so minuscule from across the basin where we started our journey. However, as we near it, I realize just how large the memorial is. It is also by far the most crowded memorial we have visited today. There are people everywhere.

A military band is playing music outside the memorial as soldiers from all branches of are military walk about proud and tall, dressed in their respective uniforms. They look so sharp. I am humbled by their presence and reminded how very proud I am to be an American.

We climb the steps, all 50 million of them, to see the gigantic statue of Thomas Jefferson. Here is a great man whom did not waste one moment of his life. He was everywhere. He was involved in everything. He moved mountains. He created paths of opportunity. He definitely lived a full and productive life. How many of us can say that? After touring the inside of TJ's memorial, we sit on the steps with the other visitors and soak in the view. Across the basin is the Washington Monument, towering above the National Mall and all of DC.
The Jefferson Memorial Washington DC
The Jefferson Memorial from the Tidal Basin
The Jefferson Memorial Washington DC
The famous steps and Greek architecture complete with Ionic Columns.
The Jefferson Memorial Washington DC
What a view!
The Jefferson Memorial Washington DC
Thomas Jefferson
After our visit to the Jefferson Memorial, we begin our journey back to the National Mall. Time is creeping by and I promised my daughter we would visit the Freer/Sackler Gallery. If time permitted, we also wanted to see the Museum of Natural History. The walk back doesn't take nearly as long so we make good time. As we arrive at the Freer Gallery, I try to find out how much admission is. There are no signs posted. I always dislike going into a place and having to ask "How much?" but I had no clue.

I walked to the counter near the entrance and asked the museum lady ( I don't know what to call her) how much admission was. I was expecting it to be about $20 a piece. I literally dropped my camera when she told me admission was free. All the buildings in the Smithsonian were free! What?? I had no idea. This was fantastic news! After I retrieved the batteries that rolled across the floor when I dropped my camera and made sure I didn't break it ( I didn't. This thing is definitely indestructible because I have dropped it at least 100 times.) my daughter and I began our tour of this museum.

I may have gotten in trouble for using the flash when taking pictures of the 5000 year old Chinese scrolls. ( I swear I forgot to turn off the flash.) This would be the second time in the last fifteen minutes I got reprimanded for something. ( I also got schooled by a cop for jaywalking outside the museum. What a great example I am for my kid. Whose the parent?) My favorite exhibit was the 21 Monkeys Grasping For the Moon by artist Xu Bing. Each monkey was designed out of lacquered Baltic birch wood in a different language. We followed the chain from the top of the gallery all the way down to the bottom floor.

I was very moved by the moral of the sculpture. My translation: Sometimes we work so hard chasing illusions of grandeur that we are in fact setting ourselves up for disappointment. Our mind has a way of portraying an unrealistic image of the things we want most in life, blurring what is the actual reality from the reality as we have it designed in our minds. In other words, sometimes we create our own unhappiness by expecting the perfect impossible instead of striving for the imperfect possible. See everything for what it really is and you will find your happiness.

Monkeys Grasp for the Moon
Monkeys Grasp for the Moon by Xu Bing
Monkeys Grasp for the Moon
Some of the languages represented
Monkeys Grasp for the Moon
From the top
To the bottom
Monkeys Grasp for the Moon
Would love a wind chime or something like this. 
Monkeys Grasp for the Moon
The pool at the bottom.
Monkeys Grasp for the Moon
More featured languages
After touring the Freer/ Sackler Gallery we had time to visit the Museum of Natural History. The museum was packed. We fought through the crowds to look at dinosaur bones, fossils, crocheted coral reefs, the Hope Diamond ( Doubt they had the real one on display) and orchids. It was the orchids in which we were most enamored. Seeing them on display in the museum, well they were so pristine, colorful and perfect that we didn't believe they were real flowers.

In fact someone was so convinced they were fake that she may have pulled a little too hard on a flower to prove her point, thus pulling the petal right off the flower. Guess someone takes after her mother after all. I inform my daughter that I am going to call the museum cops on her. It's about time someone else got in trouble for something besides me. Smoking on national monument grounds, jaywalking, taking pictures with the flash on.... now we are pulling petals off of museum flowers....yep, my daughter is just as bad ass as her mother.  Look out world....

Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
This is what my daughter's house is going to look like.
Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
They are real...ask my kid how real they are.
Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
Gorgeous colorful delicate orchids
Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
The hyperbolic crochet coral reef
The Hope Diamond Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
The Hope Diamond
Our day is coming to an end. We have a looooong bus ride back to Hazy. After all the beauty, fresh air, and walking, it will be nice to sit back on the bus and relax. The Cherry Blossom Festival did not disappoint. My daughter and I got to spend some quality time together doing something we both love to do, explore new places.

Since my kids were little ones, I made it a point to get them used to travel because it is something I love to do. I wanted to share that with them. I wanted to share my love for new experiences with them.

Both of them are in love with NYC. Both of them love exploring new places and taking in all the sites. And while one is afraid of heights and one can't swim, neither of them seem to allow their fears to hold them back from doing the things they want to do the most. My daughter has flown and my son loves boat rides. Now if I can get the both of them on roller coasters....well my work will be done here. LOL! Live, laugh, love, appreciate, experience, and most of all just be. Embrace all the seasons of your life.

Chrissy 



Total Pageviews

Ciao!