Tuesday, March 14, 2017

#457 Tour A Brewery


Yuengling Brewery
The puppy truck!!!!

Once upon a time I worked for a company that was doing some downsizing. Unfortunately, a few of my close friends were let go in the first round of layoffs and firings. Not only was this event very shocking to me, it was also very upsetting to say the least. Without a doubt, I was definitely distraught over all of this. There were reals tears shed and many, many curse words spewed, all by me. In fact, I think I took things harder than most of the people laid off. LOL! Needless to say, it was never the same for me after that.

I missed them so much. Yes, we were close friends so I got to see them all the time, but I missed seeing their faces every morning in the halls. My heart was broken. But through all of this, I also got to witness many of my friends and former co-workers make the most of their time on unemployment. Instead of wallowing in sadness and depression, they turned their downtime into great opportunities. Carpe Diem was on the menu every day. Some traveled the country. Some went back to school. Some found higher paying jobs. Some learned how to relax a little.

And with each new round of layoffs, it appeared that an unusual tradition was rising from the ashes as well. This tradition became a rite of passage almost, for those who had been let go. What was this unusual tradition you ask? Well, it was a tour of the Yuengling Brewery of course. I mean, what else could it be?  It was free. It was fun. It had beer samples. What a great way to forget about your worries for awhile right? It was quite genius to be honest.

Eventually, it became my turn to go on the tour. Yep. I had just become the newest member of the Unexpected Vacationer's Club which was founded by two of my closest friends, Becky and Gerry. It was my turn to bond over brewskies with fellow friends and co-workers whom had also lost their jobs. As news of my layoff hit the waves, my downsized kin were there to warmly embrace me with open arms from the other side. They were aware of the emotional funnel cloud that was spinning through my brain. How? Why? What am I going to do? What do I need to do? Did this really happen? What's with all these creepy flying monkeys? It that a witch on a broom? WTF is going on here? Toto! Where is Kansas?


Becky, myself and Krista
There were real tears and curse words again. There was a heavy dose of anxiety and terror too. Thankfully, my outer circle peeps were able to empathize with me. They were able to point me in all the right directions. Once I was able to do all I needed to do, my feet landed in Kansas once more. I clicked my ruby red slippers three times and shouted Carpe Diem. All of a sudden, I found myself in Pottsville standing outside the Yuengling Brewery, ready to complete my initiation into the unemployed world.

Gerry & Becky, founding members of the Unexpected Vacationer's Club, and myself.

Well, not really. We actually drove to the Brewery. I was also wearing sneakers and I live in Pennsylvania not Kansas. But it kind of felt like a tornado swept me away. Anyways, it was my turn to visit the brewery and I was very excited to partake in this awesome, free distraction from my reality. I had never been to a brewery before. This was probably because I didn't even like beer. On this day though, we were living in Carpe Diem mode and trying new things. Here are some really cool things I learned on my tours of Yuengling Brewery.

Yuengling Brewery
Pottsville, PA.

  1. Yuengling Brewery has been around since 1829, making it the oldest brewery in America.
  2. The original founder, David Jungling, hailed from Germany and changed his surname to Yuengling.
  3. Before refrigeration, the beer was stored in caves underneath the brew house.
  4. During prohibition, the Yuengling family opened a dairy and made ice cream. It is very good ice cream. They started making it again but it is a separate company from the brewery. I really enjoy it. 
  5. After prohibition ended, President FDR received a truckload of beer from Yuengling.
  6. The brewery is operating under it's fifth generation of family ownership with Dick Yuengling Jr.
  7. The brewery must be purchased by each new generation of Yuengling's. It is not passed down or inherited.
  8. Yuengling has a sister plant in Tampa, Florida and one in Port Carbon, PA. However, the company is also very serious about not compromising the quality of their beer. It is not mass produced and sold nationwide.
  9. There is a tavern located in the brewery where samples are enjoyed after the tour. 
  10. Yuengling Lager is their most popular beer.
  11. Different beers are brewed and bottled on specific days of the week. Each batch must be sampled and approved by Mr. Yuengling before being sold to retailers.
  12. They are very, very strict about sterilization.
  13. Producing beer is no joke. There are many, many steps involved in making a good tasting beer. 
  14. They have a beer bottle roller coaster inside the brewery. Well, that is what I named it anyways. They probably don't call it that but if they want to call it that, I would be okay with it. 
  15. I actually enjoy Premium Light very much.
  16. The brewery, and the family that runs it, are downright amazing. Good people for sure!

Yuengling Ice Cream
Yummy Yuengling Ice Cream!

Yuengling Brewery
The Beer Roller Coaster
Felt like putting a glove on one of the bottles ala Laverne and Shirley. 
I did not.

Yuengling Brewery
Kegs in the cave.
Sometimes you have to take a walk on the wild side.
Yuengling Brewery
Awesome bench!
Rathskellar
Getting our samples on in The Rathskellar

I got to meet Mr. Yuengling. He was so nice.

In closing, if you are looking for something cheap or free to do, check out your own back yard. There are many local breweries, distilleries and wineries in regions across the country that offer tours and specials. You may discover a product you enjoy, like I enjoy Premium Light and Yuengling Lager. You may also come to find that there are companies, products, events, etc. in your region that have some really amazing histories and contribute coolness and pride to you local region.


Chrissy


Total Pageviews

Ciao!