Wednesday, November 27, 2013

22 Things I am Thankful For 2012

November 1 - I am thankful for my father for many reasons. Always have been. Two days ago he gave us quite the scare. He was rushed to the hospital by ambulance with severe chest pain. It was the worst phone call I have ever received in my life. He was admitted to Lehigh Valley Hospital for tests. Thankfully, his stress test showed no signs of a heart attack, blockages or distress. He has a good heart... literally. His stress level and blood pressure however need to be addressed. He is coming off a very trying year. He, my mother and my aunts had taken care of my grandfather since after the New Year. It was very painful to witness his deterioration. I know I had more trouble with it than I wanted to believe so I can't imagine how hard it was for them. We lost him on July 29th, 2012. My father, as always, was the glue for us during that trying time. He is now in the process of buying and moving into my grandfather's house which is another stressful event.

After he was released from the hospital, I got to drive my father and the rest of my animated family home from the hospital. He saluted me as I drove up to the hospital door. My eyes filled with tears. I am so proud to be his daughter. My father is the best man I have ever known. His sacrifices to raise three of us as a single parent for a period of our life, his kind, open minded, loving nature and his survivor attitude have made a deep impression on me. I couldn't be more thankful for that. Sometimes my sister and I joke that my dad has three sons rather than two daughters and a son, but we wouldn't have it any other way. Hopefully now he will be able to relax more and enjoy his retirement in his new home. I want my parents to stick around for at least another 20-30 years so they can travel, experience, and enjoy the fruits of their labor. Thank you Dad for being you! You are so loved, admired and respected.

November 2 - I am thankful for the compassion of others. There is something so heart warming about genuine concern and compassion shown to you by others. It humbles me to this day. It softens my heart, gives me faith and reminds me there are people out there that do care, some more than you think.

November 3 - I am thankful for relaxing weekends. I love waking up, remembering it is Saturday, then falling back to sleep. Sometimes I lay in bed and read or do a crossword. Sometimes I get up really early to clean, bake, organize, garden, watch movies, anything my heart desires really. It's so peaceful in the early morning. Hardly anyone is stirring about. It is like you have the whole world to yourself. Other times I stay up late at night to watch movie after movie after movie. I get so excited when there are several good movies playing in a row. What I do miss quite a bit is weekend cuddling and conversations in bed but I know I will have that again one day. And...I will appreciate it so much more too. I truly savor the weekends.

November 4 - I am thankful for fun, drama free nights spent with some of the greatest people I know. Going out to have a good time should be just that. Be respectful of the people you are with. Laugh, drink, sing, joke, eat, dance, or get your ass kicked in bar sports. Just be happy. It isn't a competition to be king or queen of the bar. It isn't the time to have a public pity party for yourself. What it is....is a good time. Don't be a buzzkill.  Be positive, restore your spirit and enjoy these special little moments with awesome company.

November 5 - I am thankful for peanut butter. Not only is it a great, healthy source of protein but it tastes so damned good. I relish peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I can eat three of them in one sitting. I like putting peanut butter on apple slices. I sometimes put a layer of straight peanut butter in between a vanilla layer cake frosted with chocolate icing. It's heaven on my peanut butter coated earth. My grandfather loved that cake too. He would always ask for it. Peanut butter is also one of my father's and my son's favorites too. It's a family thing.

Sometimes I randomly make cookies using 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup sugar and 1 egg. Rich but incredibly peanut buttery and so easy to make. My son loves the Peanut Butter Cup Tassies I make for him. They are rich too but delicious. Everyone is in love with my CMP Cake aka Jimmy Carter Cake which is loaded with peanut butter goodness. I must say, I am very finicky with peanut butter. I prefer to only use Jif, Planter's or Reese's peanut butter and the only peanut butter cups I will eat are Reese's. And...the peanut butter in the Reese's better be fresh not dry, otherwise, I will throw the whole pack away. My all time favorite peanut butter treats however, are Club Cracker Sandwiches. I have been eating them since I was a little girl. I make my own sometimes and I load the hell out of them with peanut butter since peanut butter rocks my world.

November 6 - I am thankful for the P90x and Insanity work outs. They have opened new doors in my life. Are they tough? Yes... but they are not impossible. Do I walk funny the first few days after starting a regime? Yes, the pain can be stifling but I walk like a granny for a day or two and suck it up because the pain fades after a few days. Do they really work? Yes. Doing just two weeks of either of these fitness programs will show visible results. The more you do, the more you will see. Once you start doing them your body will actually crave the work out. And...seeing such fast results will make you even more determined. You will feel better mentally, emotionally and physically.

Novermber 7 - I am thankful for my strong sense of humor. It has gotten me through some rather awkward moments in life. For instance, today at 5:30 AM on this dark chilly Northeastern Pennsylvania morning I saw something perhaps I was not meant to see. Perhaps I was so shocked by what I saw that I accidentally knocked a door right off it's tracks making the awkward moment about a hundred times more awkward.... if that is possible. Let's just say unexpectedly catching someone in the act of pleasuring themselves would definitely fall into the awkward moments spectrum. The incessant joking at my expense throughout the day provided quite the laughs. Writing an incident report about it was something.... indescribable. How do you put that into words while sounding professional? Yea....it's not easy. And... I felt so guilty about having to do it because the person seems to be a nice person. However one thing I have learned the hard way is that I can't turn a blind eye to everything because sometimes they can escalate into much worse. I don't think that is the case here but if someone else would have come across what I witnessed it could have been bad. Better that it was me than someone else.

November 8 - I am thankful for quiet moments throughout the day, especially on hectic days. I completely tune out during these rare moments. It restores me mentally and allows me to keep my sanity. Today for instance, I sat outside all bundled up and watched the gusty wind whip the dry autumn leaves around the parking lot. They reminded me of a flock of birds zipping around, then landing, then zipping around once again. I became entranced. For a moment I completely forgot about work, stress, challenges, due dates....all of that stuff. It was just me and the wind and the leaves. How can I not be thankful for that.

November 9 - I am thankful for books. I treasure reading. Since I was a little girl, reading has been one of my favorite pastimes. I find such gratification in the diversion books can provide. They are my escape from the real world, if only for a few chapters here and there. I love emerging myself into a story line. I disappear completely in a well written novel. I can live another life with the turn of a page. Reading expands and exercises your mind. It provokes your thought process. For all of that books provide, I am thankful.

November 10 - I am thankful for cooking. It is so cathartic. I don't cook everyday but I am known to marathon cook. Cooking is an art. You can really get your creative juices flowing by fusing different flavors, trying new cuisine, and perfecting techniques. A true cook puts love and care into everything they make. That is why made from scratch cooking always tastes better. Someone put time, effort and TLC into the meal. I love cooking for people. I am thankful and honored when people cook for me.

November 11 -  I am thankful for all branches of our military. My grandfather was a three time purple heart recipient WWII army veteran. He fought for the beliefs and ideals and freedoms of his country, our country. He was always so proud to have served his country. We were all so very proud of him. He didn't talk much about the war but when he did, I could listen to him for hours. At his funeral when we were following his casket down the church aisle, they draped the American flag over it. That is when every single one of us, even the toughest most composed men, were reduced to sobs and tears. It was both beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. I'll never forget that moment. I still cry whenever I think about it. I really miss him. My father has my grandfather's flag. I hope when the time comes he passes his flag down to me. I will display it with such pride and take such good care of it. I am in awe of all the brave men and women who willing enlist, knowing full well their lives are at stake to protect our liberties. I admire the comradeship shared amongst those that serve. It is because of them that we are here living the lives we live. What we as Americans tend to forget is that no matter how despondent or amiss our lives could be, even in this disheartening economy, it could be so much worse. Never take that for granted. Our soldiers are our protectors and our saviors, they are our real life guardian angels and for that I am deeply thankful.

November 12 - I am thankful for the banter between my son and myself. He shares the same wit and sense of humor as me. It's nothing for him to walk by the TV on a Sunday and say "I hope the Steelers lose". He calls me Shorty. He calls me Chrissy. He calls me Mother. He calls his grandparents "the old people." He uses big words in sentences then asks me if I know what they mean. So far I have known every one. He will keep trying though. Of that I am sure. He tells me my cooking is horrible as he helps himself to seconds. He speaks in German and finds it hilarious that I can not understand him. He swears in front of me then apologizes and explains why he had to use the swear word, reminding me that he is old enough to swear. (It always makes sense and he never uses the queen mother of all curse words in front of me.) He and I can take something as mundane as the way a door is closed and turn it into a ten minute intellectual yet nonsensical battle on whether it is really closed or just the slightest bit ajar. I have only ever won one battle against him when we match wits. That is saying a lot. He is definitely a clever one.

He also comes running down the steps as soon as I come home from work to ask me how my day was. He hugs me and tells me he loves me several times a day. He always says good night. He offers to help around the house, even on vacation days from school. The text usually rolls in around 9 AM asking what I would like him to do around the house. He notices when I am more tired than usual or when I am down. He worries when I am sick. He is very protective of "the old people", even when I crack a comment here and there about my dad when he frustrates me. He begs me to quit smoking. He respects my space. He is proud to wear the clothes that were once my grandfather's. He collects antique toys and has just about every game system known to man. He loves to learn. He loves computers and knows how to fix them. He is charitable.  He is not afraid to take chances and risks. He is not afraid to try new things. He is not afraid to go after what he wants. He is turning into a fine young man. He marches to his own beat and for that, I am so thankful.

November 13 - I am thankful for heavy downpours late at night. Makes for some great, restful sleep. Something I am also thankful for. It's also perfect for cuddling....and other things. ;)

November 14 - I am thankful for people that keep their word. People that say what they really mean and do what they say they are going to do. In a world full of letdowns, disappointments and ingenuity, people of their word are diamonds among the stones.

November 15 - I am thankful for the kindness of strangers. Whether it is someone helping me retrieve an item from the top shelf at the store, paying me a compliment for my new lipstick, offering me a dollar when the vending machine eats my money but gives me no Diet Coke, or suggesting a great place to visit or a really cool website, I am always thankful for how many kind people there still are in this great big, hectic and stressful world.

November 16 - I am thankful for Angry Whoppers, Double Cheeseburgers and Onion Rings with Zesty Onion Sauce. Some days, a lot of days really, I am lucky if I get out of the house with just enough time to make it to work. On those days, I forget my lunch. BK saves the day for me. I get the same thing all the time. However, I was brave last week and tried an Angry Whopper. They burn the hell out of my mouth, upset my wuss of a stomach, and drip all over my clothes. I am completely enamored with them. I've eaten three of them in the past two weeks. I will be sad to see them go away but my stomach will thank me.

November 17 - I am thankful for people that can make me laugh. I've had beverages go up my nose more times than I can count. I have choked on many things. I've had a sore stomach muscles. I've been looked upon like an escape mental patient for random outbursts of laughter in public. Yes...I have even wet myself. As the saying goes laughter is always the best medicine. It is a stress deflector. It is a natural mood enhancer. It keeps us young in mind, body and soul. For that, I am thankful for all the goofy ass comedians in my life.

November 18 - I am thankful for my daughter's sweet disposition. My daughter can be very quiet and shy. She is definitely an introvert unlike her brother and myself. However, she can have the most deep and intellectual conversation with anyone. She is genuine in all that she does. She awes me sometimes. She is kind, understanding and open minded. She sees both sides of the coin. She would give the shirt off her back for the people she cares about and not think twice about it. She does not swear, raise her voice or throw tantrums. If she does not like someone, she does not bother with them. She just goes about her own way rather than be mean spirited or cause drama. She loves animals. She loves art and is very good at making her own art. She loves Asian culture. She listens to Daft Punk and Nobuo Uematso. She loves to travel.

I can talk to her frankly about the harsh realities of life and she never judges, she always understands. She is sensitive. She will surprise me with flowers, dinner, and other little sweet tokens. She understands about the little things. She never forgets Mother's Day or my birthday. She is always happy when something good happens for me. She also respects my space and worries when I am sick. She adores her grandparents and enjoys spending time with her family. She sometimes sells herself short and she does not see the potential in her that I see. My daughter can do anything she sets her mind to. She is just beginning to tap the surface of her abilities and with time and some guidance on my part, I hope she can do everything she has ever dreamed of. My daughter is a sweet, compassionate and ardent young woman...and for that I am thankful.

November 19 - I am thankful for words of encouragement. I think most of us go through phases where we feel nothing we do is the right thing. Phases where no matter how determined or hard you are working towards achieving a goal or accomplishing a task, you feel you are only one step away from square one. Times where no matter how much you give,how much you hope, wish and pray it is still not enough. It is in these moments where words of encouragement lift your spirits, restore your confidence and give you the will to push forward. Sometimes we all need to borrow a little strength from time to time.

November 20 - I am thankful for positive people and positive influences. This world has gotten so negative. People are so negative. Sometimes I feel as if I am suffocating when surrounded by such overwhelming negative vibes. It is all I can do just to breath sometimes. I feel trapped. Cornered with my back to the wall and no visible exit for me to escape. It affects my demeanor which in turn really upsets me because I can literally feel the negativity sucking my positive spirit out of me. It's like a plague and there is nothing I can do to avoid this. I feel myself becoming negative in turn and sometimes I do not have the strength to fight it which upsets me further. I try so hard to surround myself with as much positive influence as possible for restoration. I am so thankful for positive people, influence and vibes.

November 21 - I an thankful for gratitude. Another form of negativity is selfishness. There is a difference between looking out for your best interests and living in "me-ville". I always say, if you are going to take, make sure you give back. The world revolves around all of us, not just one person. Showing a little gratitude in any shape or form only makes the world a better place for yourself and the people around you. I am thankful for gracious, generous people.

November 22 - I am thankful for the nearly twenty years that I have been called one of the most beautiful words a woman could ever be called. " Mom" From the moment they opened their eyes, took their first breath and gazed upon my face, I have been striving to be the best, most loving person I could possibly be for them. I want my children to be proud to call me their mother. I know they are, but that does not mean I will stop trying to make them proud. It won't stop until I take my final breath. I will forever be thankful for becoming a mother to my two wonderful children.

Total Pageviews

Ciao!