Saturday, March 25, 2017

#239 Learn To Use Chopsticks


I love using chopsticks. They are so much fun. I wish I could use chopsticks for all of my meals but that would look really silly. Plus, I'm not quite sure how I would eat a slice of pizza or a cheeseburger with chopsticks. Maybe I could stab the cheeseburger with a chopstick, pick it up and try to eat some of it before it slid off the chopstick. The pizza?? Let's just forget this idea. I'll use the chopsticks for Asian cuisine and Asian cuisine only. And maybe salads. And French Fries. But that is it!

Learning to use chopsticks isn't that difficult really. It takes a little practice to get your coordination down but it's definitely not as intimidating as it appears. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means perfect when I use them. I still drop food back onto the plate or down my shirt. Actually, I do that with all my food. It really makes no difference what my utensil of choice is. But, I can also pick up a single grain of rice with chopsticks too. It's not that hard.

General Tso's Chicken
One grain of rice. Yes. I am that good. LOLOL!


Using chopsticks is actually beneficial to your digestion too. They force you to eat slower. You are also eating smaller bites of food. You can't shovel food into your mouth like with a fork, spoon or your hands. I mean, you can still shove a huge piece of sushi or General Tso's chicken in your mouth with chopsticks but overall, you do eat slower. When you eat slower, it gives your stomach the opportunity to send a signal to your brain saying that it is full, before you overeat.

My daughter is a south paw and she works those chopsticks like magic. She is teaching her brother how to use them too since he is also a south paw. He likes to eat french fries with chopsticks. It's good practice though. Unfortunately I do not have any funny chopstick stories so this will be a shorter blog. It's a shocker I do not have any funny stories because I usually have at least one for every event.

In closing, if you are too shy to try using chopsticks in a restaurant, give it a whirl at home with your Chinese Chow Mei Fun, Japanese Sushi, Korean Barbecue, Thai Spring Rolls or American potato chips.


Some Useful Links:   

A Brief History Of Chopsticks
How To Use Chopsticks by The Japan Guy 
Types of Chopsticks 







Chrissy 




Total Pageviews

Ciao!