Wednesday, December 28, 2016

#260 Give Blood


Blood Types

Type O Negative.....that is me.

From years of watching the TV show ER, I always wondered why the trauma teams asked for O Negative blood in emergency situations. Isn't O Negative a rarer blood type? How could all of these people have O Negative blood? How did the doctors and nurses even know the patient's blood type? I decided to look into this. Turns out, they usually didn't know the patient's blood type.

If a trauma unit has a patient that needs blood and they are unable to ask the patient's blood type, or if the patient does not know their blood type, the automatically give the patient O Negative blood. Why? Because O Negative blood is the only Universal blood type. Just about everyone can have O Negative blood regardless of their blood type. That is why this blood type is always in demand by donor banks.

My dad won all these donor awards for giving blood when I was younger. I am not sure what the time span was in which he donated but his pint donations added up to a few gallons. The Red Cross would present a special donor pin to him and his photo would be published in the local newspaper every time he reached another milestone. I always thought that was very cool. So of course, I wanted to be a blood donor. I especially wanted to be one because I had O Negative blood.

Turns out.....I am not exactly good at giving blood. First off, my veins are not so easy to find. I have been poked and prodded and bruised from technicians and nurses trying to find a good vein to siphon. And if I didn't pass out during the whole poking and prodding process, it was a given I was going to pass out after the blood was drawn. Nothing like waking up to a bunch of people standing over you while someone administers smelling salts only to discover you have yet to even donate.

Not that the whole smelling salt experience was something new to me. I've fainted a few times when I went for blood work during both my pregnancies. Nothing like passing out with a needle in your arm. That bruise is going to be a huge, purple and black nightmare. It will also take 3 weeks to heal and cause some conversation among the customers you serve at Friendly's. Fun times!

After my second time passing out at the blood drive, the attendants told me to make sure I let them know I was a "fainter" on my next return. They would be able to take extra caution with me if they knew ahead of time. I smiled and nodded, assuring them I would certainly let them know. In my head all I kept thinking was great, now I'm marked for life. I am a menace to society. I'm trouble. They don't want me here. I might as well paint a Scarlett "F" on my shirt for FAINTER next time I walk in the building. Sighs. Tis' the story of my life.

I did a little better the next time I donated blood. I was able to fight the fainting spell. I was still weak and dizzy but the lights did not go out. I was happy. I wanted to earn a gallon pin and have my picture in the paper like my dad. But.... it was not meant to be. The last time I donated blood, which was over 15 years ago, I thought I had it licked. I made it through the needles and the drawing of the blood. I was able to walk over to the juice and donut table all on my own. I remember standing at the table and the nice lady assisting the donors asked me if I wanted orange juice or apple juice.

Donate Blood

That is when my ears started ringing. The cold washed over me. I felt like an ice cube. The horrible wave of nausea that often accompanies a fainting spell, hit me out of nowhere. Thank god the lady was sharp and noticed me turn white. I was going down and I couldn't fight it. When I woke, I was strapped into a weird rolling wooden chair. The attendant had the chair tilted way back and was rolling me into another room away from the other donors.

He noticed that I was awake and placed me upright. He handed me a little brown paper lunch bag and instructed me to take very deep breaths into the bag. I noticed there were two other "fainters" in the room with me. They were also being attended to. Although I was still discombobulated and trying to grasp what just happened, I found some comfort in knowing I was not the only one who made a complete jack ass out of myself. These were my peeps. We were the "fainters".

My attendant asked me how I was doing. I managed a little smile and told him I felt like a dork. He laughed. He explained that I gave them a little scare. I seemed fine then boom, I went down quick. Thankfully the lady at the juice table was able to grab me before I hit my head.  I felt bad for her. I'm not exactly a twig. My attendant now had a serious look on his face.

He asks me to please consider donating blood again next time I am eligible. He does not want my fainting to deter me. I smiled at him. I tell him the story about my dad. He is very impressed. He then asked me if I thought I would able to stand up. I felt awful, dizzy and sick to my stomach but I was also not a baby. I started to stand up. He helped me walk back into the room where the blood drive was taking place.

He sat me at a table and told me to rest for a few minutes. I didn't feel like fainting again but I felt so weak. My attendant returned with a donut and a cup of orange juice. It is not often that I don't have an appetite but at the moment, I had zero appetite. He could tell by my face that I was about to interject. He informed me that I had to eat and drink. I was allowed to take as much time as I needed, but I had to eat and drink.

I knew this. This wasn't my first rodeo. Happened to me four other times. However, this was by far the worst spell yet. I knew what was going to be in store for me today and tomorrow. I would be ill and weak. I could possibly faint again. This was the worst fainting spell I have ever had. I really just wanted to go home. Of course, I also drove myself there so I knew I had to wait a little bit until the dizziness wore off some.


I eventually ate my donut and drank my juice. As I got up to leave, I made sure to thank the lady at the juice table for ensuring I did not hit my head. She was so sweet. She also said I gave her a scare but everyone was very quick to assist. They are used to this happening. It happens more than you would think. Again, I found some solace in this. She too, also asked me to keep donating blood and to not allow this set me back.

Unfortunately, I was sick for almost a week from passing out and having a pint of blood missing from my body. As a mother of two elementary school kids whom had to be shuttled to numerous activities and appointments, I could not afford to be down and out by choice. I just couldn't do it anymore. That was the last time I donated blood. It was right after 9/11. I wanted to help somehow. I had already donated a bunch of blankets and sheets for the cadaver dogs. A local truck ran them up to NYC. I also donated bottled water and laundry detergent for another truck a friend was bringing up to the city. I felt it still wasn't enough. I saw on the TV how the hospitals needed blood. So I donated blood.

I am not sure if my blood was used for any of the injured from 9/11 but I know it was used to help someone, somewhere, who was in need. I wish I could still donate. It's one of the easiest ways to be charitable and helpful. It truly does save lives. My body just doesn't adapt well to the process. We are all different. I truly don't have many weaknesses but this is one of them. I did try though. I may eventually try again. And there are so many others who gladly donate every chance they get. Have you ever given it a chance? Have you ever donated blood? You should try. One pint of blood can save three lives.

Chrissy



Total Pageviews

Ciao!