Saturday, April 29, 2017

#216 See Niagara Falls

Wikipedia photo of Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls is certainly one of the most celebrated wonders of North America. Residing between the twin Cities of Niagara Falls, NY and Niagara Falls, ONT, the view of these magnificent falls is nothing short of spectacular. Both ethereal and lethal, they are a stunning, furious display of rushing water, spilling over bouldered cliffs, pummeling the river beneath them. Rainbows glisten where the heavenly mist from the falling waters meets the shine of the sun. With a sound like the constant roar of a thousand waves crashing against a jagged shore on a stormy day, the sheer magnitude of these vigorous falls is awe inspiring.

Niagara Falls is made up of three main falls. On the American side are the American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls, which are separated by a little island called Luna Island. On the Canadian side is the resplendent Horseshoe Falls. They are all located on the Niagara River where Lake Erie drains into Lake Ontario. The falls were created 10,000 years ago after the last ice age when the Wisconsin Glacier melted. This receding glaciation also formed the 5 Great Lakes.

Back in high school on a trip for the band and bandfront, I had the opportunity to visit Niagara Falls.  I recall our charter bus crossing this extremely tall bridge, I believe it is called the Rainbow Bridge. I definitely remember freaking out a little bit in my head because this bridge was very long and there was nothing but water flowing beneath us. Which, is logical. A lot of bridges are built to give us the capability to cross over bodies of water so, it seemed legit. Then I began wondering how deep the water was. I started looking at the sides of the bridge to gauge whether they were strong enough to keep the bus from falling off the bridge if god forbid there was an accident. Wow!

You have just been witness to an oh so fun example of what swirls around in my anxious mind.

However, nothing to worry about. Usually never is. My anxiety was quickly put to bed when I started paying more attention to the scenery than I did the construction of the bridge. ( I used to be terrified of bridges, now I love them.) The view crossing that bridge was breathtaking. I gasped as I caught my first glimpses of the American Falls. As we crossed further over the bridge I was left completely awestruck when my gaze fell upon Horseshoe Falls.

Crossing the Rainbow Bridge
"Holy Smokes!"

The pictures I have seen of the falls did not do them any justice. They were enormous. Absolutely enormous. I began to feel very excited. You see, as part of trip, we were going to enjoy a boat ride on the Maid of The Mist. The Maid of The Mist sails it's passengers from the calm waters of their dock to the deeply rapid, can of crazy waters of Horseshoe Falls. Talk about a thrilling adventure! Our bus brought us to the dock where we were given big blue rain ponchos. I was a little puzzled for a few seconds as to why we needed these. Why do we need raincoats for the boat ride? 

American Falls And Bridal Veil Falls
Our tour guide assured us we were definitely going to need them. He was 100% right. While we were not going under the falls or anything, we were going to get pretty close to them. Really close to them to be exact. I donned my blue rain poncho along with my other classmates and took a deep breath.

We slowly left port and headed towards the American and Bridal Veil Falls. Our trip happened to occur during peak season for the falls. What that means is, holy flowing water Batman! In the spring and early summer the water draining from Lake Erie is much more plentiful because it's water elevation is higher. I am guessing from melting snow but I am certainly no expert.

Regardless, the water was definitely splishing and splashing pretty hard over the banks on the American and Bridal Falls. The water spray coming from the falls felt very nice. We were getting damp but we were far from soaked. That would come later. I noticed that there were so many rocks and boulders at the base of American Falls. They were huge! Watching the frothy water gushing around the bedrock was so serene yet very impressive. As we surveyed this natural wonder, our captain explained the history of the falls as well as where the international divide between the US and Canada was located in the very water we were sailing through. It was rather interesting and our captain was very informed.

As we steamed towards Horseshoe Falls it was as if we were entering another dimension. The misty haze was so thick and vaporous, you could barely see anything else around you. We were literally sailing into a storm cloud and it was very momentous. Now we were definitely getting soaked. I tried to snap as many pictures as possible with my Kodak Disc camera. Remember that relic of the 80's? 15 pictures per roll was the max for that slender gem. I loved it though. That and my pink Le Click camera. I never went anywhere without my camera.

A relic of the 80's. I had this one. The Kodak Disc was way better.
Unfortunately I had to put my camera away once we entered the territory of Horseshoe Falls or risk it getting ruined from the onslaught of water. It was way cool though. For how nervous I was when we were crossing that bridge, I was loving every single moment on that boat. We all were. We were laughing and shrieking as the water splashed around us, on us, over us. Our captain kept teasing us, asking if we would like to get closer to Horseshoe Falls. We all screamed yes! It was insane.

Years later there would be a show on the Discovery Channel which I dearly loved called "Deadliest Catch". And every time I would watch that show and see the water splashing onto their deck and soaking the fishermen, I would think of the Maid of the Mist boat ride that I had the awesome opportunity to experience. Don't get me wrong, our conditions were not nearly as extreme or as dangerous as those of the red crab and Opelia boats, but I could still relate a little bit. At least I like to think so.

Anyways, our captain spun the boat as closely as possible to the wild base of Horseshoe Falls without jeopardizing our safety. It was sick, in a fantastic way. We were now completely drenched. The Aqua Net hair spray from my 80's hair-do was dripping off my hair, running down my forehead, and stinging my eyes. It freakin' burned man but it was well worth the pain. This ride was incredible. Our bellies were sore from laughing and screaming. I was so thankful for that heavy blue poncho I was wearing although my clothes underneath were pretty wet regardless. We took turns standing by the railings of the boat to soak in the striking, cascades of roaring water.

We're going in. Horseshoe Falls
After another tour around Horseshoe, it was time to go back to the dock. I was so sad. I could have stayed there all day. This was my first ever boat ride where the boat was not attached by a metal bar to a centralized motor floating on 5 inches of water in the kiddie ride section of an amusement park. I was all growed up now. I had sea legs. Sea legs that I earned in the bat shit crazy, Canadian and American waters of Niagara Falls. It was aboot time. Get it? Aboot? Hahaha. I am so funny.

In closing, I highly, highly recommend that you partake in a wondrous ride on the Maid of the Mist if you are headed to Niagara Falls and don't mind getting "a little" wet. The staff is amazing. Their knowledge of the falls and their boat driving skills are first class. Plus, you get to witness the fury and glory of all these magnificent falls up close and personal. Now that's a fun time! The tour is about an hour to an hour and a half tour and at under $20 per person, is a bargain considering it is surely an experience of a lifetime. It's a must do!

I will never, ever forget this boat ride. It was one of the most exciting things I have ever experienced in my life to this day.

My other Canadian adventure:
#292 Go To The Top Of The CN Tower


Niagara Falls Links



 Chrissy


 

Total Pageviews

Ciao!