Tuesday, April 4, 2017

#327 Attend A Hockey Game


Philadelphia Flyers
NHL Hockey at the Wells Fargo Center Philadelphia

So....hockey. How can I put it? I really do enjoy hockey. Do I follow it like football? No. Not even close. I can rattle off NFL players like nothing. As for Hockey, I do know who Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretsky, and Mario Lemieux are. I do know there is a friendly ghost hockey player named Shayne. There is the dude who was once on the St. Louis Blues and did awesome at the 2014 Winter Olympics. TJ Yoshi is his name I believe. And there is Giroux. Oh, and Crosby. I only know who Crosby is because some of my Facebook friends make fun of him. It's pretty brutal.

With the exception of naming a few players, I do not know much else about hockey. I could never participate in a serious conversation about hockey, nor would I disrespect a live or die by the sword hockey fan by trying too. I would certainly listen, ask questions, and learn, but I would not attempt to act like I know what I am talking about. I don't.

Philadelphia Flyers
My first ever NHL Game. Go Flyers. 

I have seen the movie Strange Brew many times though. The Mackenzie brothers were a riot. Eh? You gave the dog dad's last beer. There is a mouse in my Elsinore beer. Let's play hockey with weird and scary organ music. Take off Hoser! Slap Shot is another classic movie I love that has hockey in it! The Hanson Brothers steal that movie. I was listening to the fucking song and all that jazz. Now I want to watch these movies again.

Anyways, let me tell you, seeing a live hockey game is absolutely fantastic! I love going to hockey games. They are exciting, brutal and mind blowing. The adrenaline is infectious. It's like watching grown men gracefully glide on ice while boxing in a super aggressive game of golf. The goal is to try and get a hole in one against Jason Voorhees. That is the only way I know how to describe the game of hockey. I don't think the goalies really wear Jason masks anymore though. Today's masks are more like a cross between the Transformers and Mad Max Fury Road.

And now that I am done describing my take on hockey, let me tell you how fun it is to go to a hockey game and not really know what the hell is going on. It's a total blast! For real! You are completely clueless, so everything is twice as exciting and jaw dropping. Hearing players slam each other into the glass is like hard rock on ice. It's a Corey Taylor Slipknot vs. Corey Taylor Stone Sour battle of testosterone and skill.

You're looking at an absolute zero, I'm not the devil but I won't be your hero!


Minor league Pens games at the Wilkes Barre/Scranton Mohegan Sun Arena.

Work is my hero though. One of the perks of my job is having a chance to go to minor league Pittsburgh Penguin games and NHL Philadelphia Flyers games. They are my favorite hockey teams. At the Pens games, the seats are always awesome. They are located near the glass by the players benches. Talk about a rush. I've been to about ten Penguins games and I plan on going to many more. Good stuff. 

Even better stuff, my company has a VIP Suite for the Flyers games. Can you say royal treatment? Not only do we get to see the NHL game, but we get private seats, delicious game food and free beverages. It's the experience of a lifetime. I have had the pleasure of enjoying the VIP suite twice. Drowning in Chickie and Pete's cheese sauce with a few french fries while sipping some wine and cheering on the friendly ghost makes for an excellent time. 


The VIP Treatment at Wells Fargo Center. One of the best times to be had. Live hockey games rock!

And for each game I attend, I learn a little more about the game. I can sometimes recognize when icing happens. Overtime is the best, especially if it comes down to a shoot off. I still get very confused about the lines on the ice and player positions. I'm not sure I will ever understand that, but even in football, there are many plays I do not understand either. That does not mean I cannot love the sport. I'm not getting a masters degree in any sport nor am I trying to. I am just enjoying great sports that are a lot of fun to watch.

In closing, I can't hold a serious, in depth conversation about hockey like I can with football, but I can enjoy the sport itself. If you ever get a chance to see a live  hockey game, go for it. You will not be disappointed. Heavy metal meets the Ice Capades is one hell of a rush!

It's time for this hoser to take off.  I need to take more pictures of french fries and cheese sauce. LMAO!

  Chrissy

Total Pageviews

Ciao!