Wednesday, November 2, 2016

#268 Give My Time To Help A Charity

"The Smallest Act of Kindness Is Worth More Than The Grandest Intention." - Oscar Wilde

Remember the Friends episode where Joey and Phoebe have a debate about how hard it is to do a completely selfless act? Even giving something to someone in need is not completely selfless because it makes you feel good, hence, there really are no selfless acts in the world.


That may be true but I think it is okay to feel contented with yourself for doing something for someone in need. You're are contributing to a cause while providing yourself with a much needed, positive self esteem boost. Nothing wrong with that at all. That is a true win win situation. We should feel good about ourselves. We should care about our fellow man, our environment, our planet.

Giving time and/or donations to a cause is not only a very rewarding act for oneself, it also has this radiating ripple effect of positive energy and good intention that is so very infectious. And do not for one minute ever take for granted that at any given moment you may very well find yourself as one of those in need. If there is one thing for certain in life, it is that there is no certainty other than death.


People lose jobs. People fall ill.  Fires destroy homes. Acts of terror occur. Businesses crumble. Diseases spread. Accidents happen. Children are born with special needs. Mother Nature can be merciless. Humans can be merciless. The list of tragedies and difficulties one could encounter in a lifetime is so comprehensive and overwhelming. And if by chance, you are fortunate enough to have never experienced a devastating or life altering hardship, I'm pretty positive someone you know, someone you care about, has been touched by tragedy.

I have never had much money in my life. The decisions I have made thus far in life have certainly lead me to some wealth, just not of the financial type of wealth. And yes, I have let opportunities pass me by. Those decisions are mine for my own reasons. I'm not alone on this either. A lot of us live paycheck to paycheck due to various reasons and decisions. I am not here to judge anyone.

I realize many of us do not have much money. Keep in mind though, that there are many other forms of currency that are just as valuable. Time, compassion, listening, volunteering, collecting, lending, coordinating......these acts are just as valuable. I understand many charities need monies to operate, and every little cent does count, but do not allow your financial situation to prevent you from helping in other ways.

And while I do give money to causes, I have given more of myself than anything. I am more than happy to bake for charitable causes and have done so many times. I've cleaned up local nature areas. I have spoken to families with autistic children in support groups, sharing in my experiences. I've volunteered to work stations at charity events. I've donated tricky trays. I've donated waitressing tips to a local children's charity. And I didn't stop there.

I have instilled this behavior in my children as well. Since they were very young, they have been taught the act of charity. My daughter is unbelievably charitable. Together we have gathered clothing for women's shelters. We have worked in a soup kitchen. We have sat in nursing homes lending an ear to it's residents. We have donated to the local pet shelter. We have participated in food drives. We have attended and assisted at military ceremonies.

My son is also willing to donate time, energy and money to causes as well. He is always showing off a new bracelet he has purchased for a cause. He participates in walks and other activity events for many causes. He is currently looking at organizing and coordinating a fundraiser for Suicide prevention.

My family tries to support as many fundraisers, bake sales, events etc. as we possibly can.

We give back as much as we can, when we can. We know what it is like to be on the other side of the coin. My son was able to get his therapy for many years at a minimal cost thanks to the generous people of our community. When my daughter was born, another local charity provided us with a free car seat. My son needed foot braces when he was a toddler. A local charity paid the remainder of the cost for the braces after insurance.

I will forever be so humbled and grateful for the kindness and support given to my family during these times. Times when I had to put my pride aside for the sake of my children. And without the good human beings in the world, none of that would have been possible. My family and myself have endured many hard times and rough situations, some we never thought we would ever have to deal with. Some...there just aren't any words for. We cope. We try. That is all we can do. That is all any of us can do.

Suffering and struggle does not discriminate. It does not care about age, social status, ethnicity, religion, gender or race. It does not care if you are already under enough stress. It does not care about your hopes, dreams and goals. It does not care about your family or loved ones. It DOES NOT care. It just happens. And it can happen at any time.

This is where the compassion of mankind comes in. Most of us do care. Most of us want to help.

There are people out there who legitimately have absolutely nothing. There are people out there whom are struggling with devastating hardships. There are people out there who are fighting for their life, trying to live to see another day. There are families whom have lost everything due to fires and acts of nature. There are children and adults suffering from awful diseases, some very rare. There are veterans suffering from PTSD and other afflictions. There are homeless people looking for a comfortable bed to sleep in and a warm meal to fill their bellies.

How can we help? How do we decide? Well.... Some people are passionate about things that have directly touched their life. Some people are passionate about animals, education, community, the environment, the military. It's your choice. Choose one or choose many. Just choose something.

Take a little time here or there and do something good for humankind and the planet we call home. Take some time to be a good human.

**Just to clarify, not all fundraisers have to do with illness and tragedy. Helping out school organizations, sporting leagues, religious entities, environmental centers, scholarship funds, and wildlife reserves, just to name a few, are all positive endeavors that have a great impact on the local community. It's your backyard, do your part to try and keep it nice.

*** As with any charity or fundraising, always do your research. Make sure it is legitimate. Make sure the intentions of the charities are good.  Make sure your time, goods, and/or money are put to proper use.

10 Small but Charitable Things You Can Do On A Daily Basis
They may not seem charitable but trust me, they are.

1.   Throw your garbage in a garbage can. (Helping keep the planet clean.)
2.   Pay someone a genuine compliment. ( You never know who is suffering from depression.)
3.   Turn off any unnecessary electronics/lights. ( Save money. Help the environment.)
4.   Don't throw your pennies away. It's money. Save them in a jar. (Donate them to a charity at Christmas.)
5.   Feed the birds your stale bread. ( Nourishing the ecosystem chain.)
6.   Keep non constructive criticism to yourself. ( Bullying comes in many forms, big and small.)
7.   Donate anything in your house that is no longer useful. ( Someone less fortunate can use it.)
8.   Re-use your plastic bottles. ( Help landfills and the environment.)
9.   Drive safely. ( Save lives and unnecessary injuries)
10. Smile and laugh as much as possible. ( Positive energy lifts spirits.)



Chrissy












Total Pageviews

Ciao!