Monday, November 7, 2016

#450 Vote In An Election

"The ballot is stronger than the bullet" - Abraham Lincoln


In my 43 years, I have never seen an upcoming Presidential election quite like this. It's definitely a milestone election, no matter what party line you pledge your allegiance to. It's heated, it's passionate, and it's bringing out the very best and the very worst in a lot of people.

Look...I'm not writing this blog to lecture anyone nor sway anyone's opinions to the left or the right. Your political affiliation is none of my business to be honest. My political affiliation is none of your business either. That's just how I feel. Trust me, I am not going to hate anyone because they did not vote for the candidate of my choice. I am also not soliciting anyone's opinion on why I should vote for this one, that one, or anyone. I am a grown woman who can make my own choices and decisions.

So let's be real here for a moment.....

No matter who wins this election, we will all have to adjust. Just like we have adjusted time and time again as each President has taken their place in history. Will all of us necessarily like the adjustment? Absolutely not. And this election, just like all past elections, will affect every one of us in one way or another. This is fact. This one of the reasons why it is so important to exercise your right to vote.

I'm not going to get into the state of our country and what is happening to it. We all know what is happening to it. But from what I have gathered on social media outlets, the news, and from listening to conversations...most of us want to make our country better, we just have many different perspectives on how to go about what needs to be done to make it better for all of us. I have also come to the consensus that a lot of Americans are not necessarily thrilled with either of the candidates running for the Presidency in this election.

Don't abstain just because you don't like either of them. You can write in the candidate of your choice. If anything, now more than ever, every single one of us need to be heard. Besides, we are voting for other political offices in addition to President in this upcoming election. Offices that are still going to affect our every day life. Don't sit out the entire vote because of the Presidency.

And since we are being real here, we can all admit....there is no such thing as the perfect candidate. I think we can agree however, that all our past Presidents have done some good things and some not so good things for our nation during their terms. Some tipped the scales more in favor of good, while some tipped them more in favor of not so good. But, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't one good thing that came out of every Presidency regardless of whether I liked them or not.

We also need to keep in mind, yes, there will be a brand new President entering the White House, and that President will have some hefty power, but Congress also has a huge impact on the American way of life. Let's face it....A Republican President working with a Democratic Congress does not always lead to progress and a Democratic President working with a Republican Congress also, does not always lead to progress. Like I mention above, every single politician we vote into office impacts us in one way or another. Use your voice. Vote!

Side Bar: The above statement is by far the biggest reason I am not a fan of political parties or voting party line in general. A lot of my beliefs do not fall perfectly with one party and I refuse to agree with every single thing a candidate is about just because they are in my party.

Truth is, nothing surprises me much anymore in the political arena. And I think that is a very good thing in many ways. In many other ways, though, it completely terrifies me. Trust me when I say, I am by no means making light of this upcoming election. Every election is serious business. Every election!! What I am trying to say is, we are all going to have to adjust. This is why it is so important to vote. This is why we need to use our voice. How do you want to adjust?


 Will the candidate you vote for win? There is a chance they will. There is also a chance they won't. I've voted for several candidates in the past whom did not win. I have voted for both Democrats and Republicans. I have also written in candidates because I did not like any of the choices before me. Did I stop voting because my candidate did not win? Hell no. I'm not gathering all my toys and stomping off the playground yard while throwing a hissy fit. What will that solve? Nothing. I still love this country. There is absolutely no place on earth I would rather call home than the USA. So... I will continue to keep voting. My one little voice will be heard. It may be on the losing side of the election but it will be heard nonetheless.

And listening is the key. In order to be a successful politician, you must always take notice of the concerns and differences among all the parties and their constituents. You need to listen to what the American people are saying without prejudice or agenda. Just because it may go against your party's ideal, does not mean it is always wrong. Sometimes it's just different. I think this concept gets lost on a lot of people. Compromising is not always a horrible thing. We are still one nation aren't we? We all still want to be the greatest country on the planet right? We all want to live prosperous and happy lives correct? No, You can't make everyone happy. That is impossible. But you can listen. Political parties can work with one another to make progress rather than against one another and waste valuable time.



I don't know. Maybe I am being naive. Maybe I just refuse to let go of hope. That is why I will always vote. I refuse to let go of hope. This country can no longer afford to be complacent about anything. Getting out and voting is one of the ways we, as a country, as a whole, can promote the change this country is famished for. Voting is one of the ways we can hold onto our hope.


And....If there is one amazing and wonderful thing I have noticed about this upcoming Presidential election, it is the volume of people whom are going to be first time voters. I am also seeing people whom have not voted in a long time, insisting they will vote in this election. That, to me, is so great! I am thrilled to see so many people voting. It should always be this way. Maybe, if it is always this way, we as a nation will see positive change for our country as a whole.

At the end of the day, I do not look at my fellow American citizens as Democratic or Republican or Green...etc. I look at my fellow American citizens as brothers and sisters, trying to live the best life they possibly can in this piece of land we call home. This piece of land we call the United States of America.

Now get out and vote!

Chrissy 

USA Fairy
The USA Fairy

Total Pageviews

Ciao!