Tuesday, May 2, 2017

#246 Dine Al Fresco In Little Italy NYC

I realize that I am always going on about Springtime in New York City but trust me, there is a reason. It's amazing. E fantastico! Stupefacente! And one of the best parts of NYC to visit in the Spring is Little Italy. Why you ask? Because once spring arrives, it's time to dine al fresco in the fresh spring air. Once the warmer weather hits the scene, Little Italy becomes an outdoor landscape of wine carafes, red and white checkered table cloths, and amazing Italian cuisine.

Little Italy NYC
Little Italy, Manhattan NYC

The outdoor dining areas of trattorias and ristorantes stretch for blocks in the Little Italy section of NYC. The enticing smell of pastas, pizzas, espressos and fresh baked bread waft through the air, tempting your stomach with every step you make. Camerieri call to you, asking if you would like something to eat, begging to wait on your every need. You can't help but be reminded of every Italian grandmother you have encountered in your life as you listen to their pleas for your company. I mean, we all know Italian grandmother's so love to feed and dote on their families, friends and even complete strangers.

Mulberry Street, Little Italy
That is what Little Italy is all about. It is Grammom, Nonna, Nana, Gigi, G-Mom, Grammy and Mom Mom. It conjures this inviting atmosphere where everyone is considered a long lost relative. And, when you are ready to come "home" and break bread with the family, your seat at the table will be there waiting for you. That is exactly how it feels. But, just like with any Italian family, Little Italy can also be a little overwhelming and loud at times.




First of all, everyone wants you at their table. The choices, specials and offerings in Little Italy are so plentiful that it is almost impossible to choose where to rest your feet and fill your belly.

Second of all, you are pretty much surrounded by delectable drama everywhere you turn. If it's not the colorful, creamy Gelato giving you a guilt trip, it's the bakery windows filled with plates of cannoli, pizzelle, torcetti, and viscoot that make you wanna yell "Zio! Coffee bars smell like fresh roasted paradiso while offering the finest cappucino, machiatto and espresso this side of the Atlantic. As for the pie shops, aka pizza places, I can't even...... New York pizza is just in a league all it's own.

Your head starts arguing with your stomach over which choices to make, while your heart is pleading to the diavola in your soul that we should just "mangia tutto" then confess our gluttony to the nearest Sacerdote after the fact. It's not an easy task to "controllati" when strolling through Little Italy. The only thing I can say, and this goes for any restaurant in NYC, is that if you are on a budget, you want to do lunch not dinner.

A stroll through Little Italy
Little Italy has amazing lunch specials. Nearly every restaurant has a sign board propped by the entry stating the lunch specials and prices. Some even offer a free glass of wine with lunch. It still does not make the decision any easier but at least it is a little easier on your wallet.

I've had the pleasure of enjoying an al fresco lunch twice in Little Italy but I promise you, it will not be my last. My first taste of Little Italy al fresco style occurred on my 40th birthday. I wanted to spend my 40th in my favorite city on the planet. I also wanted to visit Little Italy since I had never been before. It turned out to be one of the best birthdays ever.

My daughter, my sister and I walked up and down Mulberry Street ( the heart of Little Italy) reading the lunch special boards while considering the pleas from each camerieri we passed. It was travolgente. There were Parmesans, eggplant or chicken. There were the chickens: Marsala, Francaise, Piccata, Scampi, Milanese, Scarpariello, Cacciatore, and Valdostano. There were the pastas: Rigatoni, Orechiette, Bucatini, Fettucini, Cappelini, Lasagna, Tortellini, Gnocchi, Ravioli, Linguini, Manicotti, and Penne just to name a few. Then there were the sauces: Vodka, Pomodoro, Carbonara, Puttanesca, Bolognese, Alfredo, Marinara, Aglio Olio, Amatriciana and Con Vongole, also to name a few.

 E'stato pazzesco!

Finally we decided on Amici II because they offered lunch specials we all would enjoy. My sister ordered the Chicken Francaise. My daughter ordered the Chicken Parmesan and I ordered the Chicken Scarpariello. We took our seats at a little cafe table, enjoying the beautiful weather while listening to the chatter of the other diners around us. When our meals arrived, they definitely did not skimp on the portions. They were enorme. The food was delicious except for my daughter's Parmesan. It was burnt underneath but she did not want to send it back. She also stated that my Parmesan was more flavorful. I took that as a huge compliment.

What I enjoyed most about Amici II was that the pasta was true al dente style. I can recall how the three of us all kind of looked at each other when we first dived into our pasta. It seemed way under cooked. It was definitely strambo. However after a few more bites, we began appreciating true al dente style. The flavor of the pasta was more distinct. The sauce clung to the pasta better. Americans cook pasta until it is mushy and flavorless. I know I was guilty of that. After dining at Amici II, I definitely reworked how I cook pasta. I don't make it quite as al dente as they do, but I do leave it firmer.

Amici II

My second foray into Little Italy brought me to La Mela where my friend Kimba and I enjoyed a traditional family style Italian meal. Dio mio!! Talk about amazing food, incredible portions, outstanding service and delightful company. It was the most wonderful experience. Their lunch special was the Family Style #2 meal, which included meats, for the price of the basic family style meal. The price was $28 per person but trust me, it was so worth it.

The first course was a beautiful plate consisting of thick slices of fresh mozzarella and tomato topped with sprigs of fresh basil and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. Stai calmo. Did I mention it was fresh?? The flavor was clean and pure and simple. Mozzarella, tomato and fresh basil drizzled with grapeseed oil, balsamic reduction and a little salt and pepper is one of my favorite snacks, especially in the warmer months. It's comfort food to me. La Mela made me feel " a casa" with this dish.

La Mela Antipasti
Our waiter then appeared with the Antipasti. When Americans think of Anitpasti they typically think of a salad topped with meats and cheeses. That is perfectly acceptable but the truth is, antipasti is so much more. It does not need to be over a bed of lettuce. Antipasti in Italy is typically a plate of breads, meats, cheeses, olives and vegetables, whatever is on hand really. It is meant for snacking in between meals or as one of the beginning courses of the Italian meal structure, usually accompanying the Aperitivo. Again, in the warmer months, it is not unusual for me to have plates in my fridge filled with meats, cheeses, olives, marinated vegetables and grapes. None of it goes on a bed of lettuce.

La Mela's antipasti consisted of marinated asparagus parmesan, stuffed mushrooms, roasted red peppers topped with kalamata olives and fried cheese and bread topped with an anchovy sauce. I wasn't just awestruck by the amazing presentation of the first courses, I was moonstruck by the flavor. Uscirne fuori! Kimba and I savored every single bite of our antipasti and caprese. We sipped on Pinot Grigio, made friends with fellow patrons, enjoyed listeing to the waiter's stories and basked in the fresh spring air. It was a stunning day.

Mama Kimba enjoying La Mela's delicious al fresco dining

Our waiter did not rush us at all. La Mela allows each table 3 hours to enjoy their meals. He insisted we spend the afternoon at La Mela. He wanted us to relax, savor the food and relish the beauty of al fresco dining in Little Italy. He was very doting on us, as were all of La Mela's employees. Take your time. Have a smoke. Savor your drink. We want you to laugh, indulge, enjoy and relax. That is the Italian way. He even offered to charge our phones. He was very attentive and super awesome. It just made this dining experience all the more splendido. The service here alone was second to none and Kimba and I both know about serving. We both did it for 20+ years.

After our waiter was convinced we had allowed our antipasti to digest, he brought our second course. It consisted of three different pastas with three different sauces. He also asked if we would like him to bring out the third course of meats to accompany the pastas. We said he sure could and we meant it but we were so hypnotized by the pasta that I guess we did not sound so convincing to our waiter. He laughed and asked if we were sure. I assured him he could definitely bring out the meat plate while we shoveled Rigatoni Marinara, Tortellini with cream sauce and Gnocchi Sorrentina onto our plates.

La Mela Pasta
Rigatoni Marinara, Tortellini with Cream Sauce, Gnocchi Sorrentina

I am usually fussy about red sauces in Italian restaurants. Every red sauce tends to have it's own personality and unique flavor. Unfortunately, I just do not care for most of them. It's not that the sauce is bad by any means. Most of them are well seasoned and simmered. It's more of a preference thing I guess. My grandmother spoiled me with her red sauce. I love my red sauce. I love my dad's red sauce. There are maybe 6-7 restaurants in the history of my life whose red sauce I genuinely enjoyed and two of those places are no longer in business. Upon trying La Mela's marinara sauce with rigatoni, I officially added it to the list of red sauces I truly enjoyed.

La Mela's red sauce is slightly sweet and full of chunky bits of tomato. It was accented with the perfect amount of fresh basil. Their cream sauce was very nice as well but it was the Gnocchi Sorrentina that won my heart. Dio Mio that was squisito. I repeatedly thanked our new friend Mary Ann, a retired Bronx police officer, for selling us on dining at La Mela. When Kimba and I were first pondering whether or not to dine at the establishment she sold us with her enthusiastic passion concerning La Mela. Always trust the locals. They know the city more than anyone. They know the deals, the hidden gems and the delicious diamonds in the rough.


Le Mela Family Style
Family Style at La Mela
As we were fawning over our delectable pastas, Our waiter appeared with the meat course. Normally the meat course consists of Chicken Scarpariello, Veal Francaise and Shrimp Marinara. Kimba and I both prefer not to eat veal so Le Mela gave us extra chicken and shrimp in place of the veal. Most places don't do that. Usually family style and pre fixe menus are non negotiable. Take it or leave it. I totally agree with that policy too. It was a pleasant surprise to get extra shrimp and chicken. Again, the meat platter was outstanding. The shrimp was fresh and huge. The chicken was crispy and lemony.

As we sat chatting with our new friends, sipping on Pinot Grigio and taking a few puffs of Marlboro, I remember thinking how much I needed this experience in my life. I will never forget that day. I wil never forget the food. I will never forget the beautiful weather and the wonderful people I shared a few hours of my day with. Mary Ann and I are now friends on Facebook. She is a wonderful woman with an inspiring spirit. Maybe one day we can meet again at La Mela for the ultimate Little Italy experience.

In closing, Manhattan's Little Italy is receding as the years go by. What was once a sprawling part of lower Manhattan has now been reduced to a few blocks. If you get the chance, you must visit this gem of a neighborhood in Manhattan. Neighboring Chinatown and Soho are also well worth a visit. It's my favorite part of the city and I am definitely overdue for another stroll through Little Italy. Perhaps I will go this spring, because...............springtime in New York is il mio preferito.

Esperienza. Indulgere. Sapore.

Viva la vita!!!

Ciao!



Chrissy






A Lesson in Italian 


E Fantastico - It's amazing!
Stupefacente- Amazing
Trattoria- Tavern
Ristorante- Restaurant
Camerieri- waiter
Zio- Uncle
Parsadiso- Heaven
Diavola- devil (feminine)
Mangia tutto- Eat everything
Sacerdote- priest  
Controllati- Control yourself
Travolgente- overwhelming
E'stato pazzesco! - It was crazy!
Enorme - huge
Al dente - underdone
Strambo- weird, wacky
Dio mio- Oh my god!
Stai calmo- Keep calm.
A casa- at home
Uscirne fuori- Snap out of it!
Splendido - Wonderful, splendid 
Squisito- exquisite
Il mio preferito- My favorite. 
Bellissimo- beautiful
Glorioso- glorious
Esperienza- Experience
Indulgere- Indulge
Sapore- Savor
Vivi la vita- Live life!
Ciao!- Goodbye




Things To Do In Little Italy, Manhattan, NYC






Total Pageviews

Ciao!